Home

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Rob Talks Crazy Side Of Fame, Politics, More With Paris Match Magazine


Translation via Thinking of Rob 

In Paris, last Novem­ber you were really scared by the crazi­ness. How do you feel today Robert Pattinson?

Rob: I feel bet­ter. I’m start­ing to get used to Hol­ly­wood. It all seems just as crazy to me, but I have more con­trol over myself. I know I have to watch what I’m going to tell you for exam­ple… And I’ll never get used to peo­ple who spend their lives fol­low­ing me around or to the peo­ple who use my name to make money. But I’ve learned to speak about the movie, my char­ac­ter and my career.

In this third install­ment your char­ac­ter refuses to sleep with Bella and only thinks about one thing: get­ting mar­ried. It’s an ancient cou­ple con­cept don’t you think?

Rob: This vision is a bit archaic but I assume it. The way I see it, Edward is obsessed that he isn’t human. He would like to not be a vam­pire. There­fore he takes advan­tage of every lit­tle detail that can bring him closer to “nor­mal­ity”. What’s bet­ter than a mar­riage to feel like every­one else? In all clas­sic vam­pire sto­ries, they think of sleep­ing with their prey and are ready to kill for blood. Edward, is search­ing for sim­ple love, to not be dif­fer­ent any­more. But he knows that’s impos­si­ble, that he’s damned to eter­nal life. This is what also causes this pro­found sad­ness in him.

Does Edward represent purity?

Rob: He’s as pure as pos­si­ble! But a vam­pire lives by its instinct, which pushed him each day to find blood to feed and that’s not the purest act in the word. Edward is on a spir­i­tual quest. Love seems to be his reli­gion even though he know he’ll never go to heaven.

Did you speak about your char­ac­ter with Stephe­nie Meyer, the author of the saga?

Rob: Some­times. She was present on the set of the third install­ment with­out being too involved. As long as we haven’t started shoot­ing a scene, I lis­ten to every­thing peo­ple say on my char­ac­ter. Once the cam­era starts rolling how­ever, only the Direc­tor speaks to me. I don’t need to have var­i­ous opin­ion all the time, or to hear comments.

Are you impa­tient to be done with Twilight?

Rob: Not really. A saga such as this one allows me to be on screen often with­out bor­ing peo­ple. If I did one movie after the other I think peo­ple would turn away from me. As Twi­light has become an impor­tant finan­cial asset, pre­pro­duc­tion is quite fast. It allows me to do other projects between shoot­ing 2 movies. Then, the wait is incred­i­ble, fans are impa­tient to see the next “Twi­light” They really don’t care about the “new Robert Pattinson”!

Is Edward more pop­u­lar than Robert?

Rob: You just have to look at the amount of peo­ple who went to see Twi­light and the amount of peo­ple who went to see Remem­ber Me (a film in which he played that came out in April)! It made 70 Mil­lion at the box office whereas Twi­light made 1 bil­lion! But for Remem­ber Me it’s really good.

Why did you want to become an actor?

Rob: I enrolled in the­ater because my dad pushed me too. He thought it would help me over­come my shy­ness. But it’s mostly when I real­ized that all these pretty girls went to these course that I became more atten­tive. Before that I hated theatre.

Were you more inter­ested by cinema?

Rob: I never dreamed of being an actor. It was a chain effect. But I always loved movies. This may seem arro­gant but I think I have good taste in terms of Direc­tors and movies in general.

What kind of movies did you love?

Rob: Amer­i­can movies from the end of the 60s and the begin­ning of the 70s and French movies from “La Nou­velle Vague”. For a long time I was obsessed with Godard’s movies. I would dream of learn­ing French to be able to film with him. “Prénom Car­men” is by far the most beau­ti­ful love story I’ve seen in movies. When I filmed the first Twi­light I had that movie in my head constantly.

How to you imag­ine the rest of your career.

Rob: I’m reached a high level of fame at an incred­i­ble speed. All the movies by authors, the inde­pen­dent movies that I dream to make will surely suf­fer from it. But it could also help them. I don’t know yet. If Godard hired a French teen idol to be the star of his movie wouldn’t it turn out to be noth­ing much? I feel like I have the future in front of me but I also know that I have to make the proper deci­sion to get what I want.
Do you dis­cuss your future with Tay­lor Laut­ner and Kris­ten Stewart?
Rob: We have dif­fer­ent ideas on the way we want our careers to evolve. It’s very bizarre. Tay­lor dreams of doing big block­busters, in action movies. Kris­ten dreams of doing small inde­pen­dent movies that have trou­ble get­ting released as for myself I’m a mix of both.

Your sis­ter is in music. Is she jeal­ous of your success?

Rob: No, she’s been writ­ing songs for years, it’s dif­fer­ent. My fam­ily, my loved ones still live in the UK. They only see from afar this gen­eral crazi­ness, they read it in the press. I don’t think I’ve changed because of the suc­cess. My par­ents came to LA for the first time a few weeks ago. We were con­stantly fol­lowed by paparazzi. They were a bit over­come by every­thing. But the fact that I’m British helps to not sink into the Hol­ly­wood tur­moil. Even though you’ll read a lot of things about me I’m actu­ally quite nor­mal. And to be hon­est I’m seri­ously think­ing of doing music with my sis­ter. It’s a project that should be done before the end of the year.

Did you fol­low the elec­tion in the UK?

Rob: Absolutely! I voted and I think that this coali­tion can be a plus for this coun­try. Nick Clegg and David Cameron look sin­cere and hon­est, full of hope. This duo has to work as well together as Kris­ten and I do.

scans via source

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!he just said some in not so many words that some of his music will be done by years end!TOTALLY AWESOME!he has one of the most beautiful,soulful,amazing voices ive ever heard.he gives the world a true gift with his music!

    ReplyDelete